Monday, October 29, 2007

Now it IS just another day

As this season ends, a new one will begin. So it is for baseball. Our Colorado Rockies were swept in the World Series. . . but I am not that sad (oh, OK - just a little, would have loved to be at a third game tonight). Happiness is more of a feeling, as we celebrate what the Rockies have had in great successes. Check these out:

1) Only the 2nd team in history to sweep all playoff games up to the World Series (up there next to the Big Red machine of 1976)
2) Played the longest nine inning game in World Series history (really, that was a yawner there for awhile - not sure if I should count that?)
3) Won 21 of 22 games through regular and post season, going into the World Series. Let's see - they are one of 5 teams to ever do this?
4) They were 4-1/2 games behind San Diego Sept 16. Whodathunk?

There are a multitude of statistics where the Rockies were in the top 5 of all time. They are a great team - too bad they didn't grab Joe Girardi (former Rockies pitcher, coach/manager in many different capacities over the last few years) to be manager for the Rockies before the Yankees did. He could have made them into a killer team! Now we'll never be able to afford him. Steinbrenner just set THAT bar too high.

To recap my experience of attending a World Series - AWESOME! The energy from the crowds was unbelievable, the electricity in the stadium undeniable. And man, was that American flag gianormous! I can't really describe in words how it felt to be at this historical event. When we walked through the turnstiles into the stadium, I looked at Lynn (Kirsten's mom) and jumped up and down, saying "we're at the World Series!" It didn't hit me until we walked into the place. I only wish that Kirsten could have joined us, we have been to so many games together the past couple of years - my baseball buddy. I'm glad I have a couple of really big sports fans like myself to hang with! Ask me sometime, I might be able to put into words what my experience left me with. However at this moment, my heart is again a-flutter as I re-live my experience through writing about it! Wow - I'm so lucky!!!

Until my next great adventure (don't think anything will top this one off for a couple of years, or at least until the NASCAR race in Las Vegas in March - nahh, that still won't come close) - Ciao for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you as I heard the news here in Portland...

Anonymous said...

So sad about them Rockies :( then them Broncos :(( then CU :((( We are being let down here!

Congrats Leslie Mrs. Lifetime Membership...