Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The DNC - Why, Oh Why?

You know, I have to admit that having the DNC here isn't a bad thing, no matter how much I don't believe completely in the Democratic Party's belief system. It is actually quite fascinating to see all of the people, the celebrities and mostly how folks think of our Mile High City.

Last night, I hung out with Boots and Sharon to watch the "going's on" of the 16th Street Mall. We sat at the Capital Grill at the Sheraton (formerly Adams Mark) hotel, which was just southeast of all the action. The only celeb site-ing I had was of Carlos Mencia - and I only recognized him as he was wearing that blue and black tunic length soccor jersey he always wears. He was across the street and my camera phone wasn't working, so couldn't get a picture of him. Anyway, I sat and listened to stories that Boots was telling and their Friend Paula (who used to work for the Denver Business Journal, but moved away around 3 years ago) were sharing - Paula was here for another media outlet she works for in another city, I think she said in Wisconsin. It was very interesting to hear first hand from journalists what they saw and experienced - and the things they REALLY saw that haven't been portrayed quite truthfully by the News/Post.

While we were sitting there, we saw several protestors just walking the mall; even protestors that protested protestors. Now THAT was funny. . . after an hour and a half, we decided to mosey on down the mall, getting blockaded by a bunch of SWAT members in full gear. They were apparently expecting a nasty mess with some protestors, but everything actually came off peacefully. I tell you, these guys were ready for anything! While we were waiting for Boots (she was trying to take pictures with a dead battery in her camera), Sharon and I met this guy from WDC. He was looking for change to put in the meter. Told us that Denver is by far the nicest city he has been in; said he attends some huge security conferences, and the facilities here are far superior to most he's been to. That was a nice thing to say - for a democrat. . . just kidding :)

Let me again say that although I'm not a Democrat, you can't help but kind of get caught up in the pageantry of this event. Those that are smart will truly emerse themselves in knowledge and learning why they believe what they believe - whether Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green Party, etc. Having a vast knowledge of all areas can only enhance your current belief system that much more. I've actually thought about attending Ralph Nader's Rally tomorrow night just to say I went. Although I'm a Sean Penn fan in the sense of his acting, I'm not a fan of him on a personal level. It seems as though he thinks he can affect current foreign dignitaries - even though they have openly laughed behind his back. Anywhoo, he will be there with Val Kilmer - haven't heard him try to speak - it would be interesting to hear their reasons for supporting Nader.

Near the end of the evening, Boots, Sharon and I walked to the MSNBC makeshift studio where Michelle Obama's speech was being televised. The sound was WAY off of the video, but in a different way -you heard the words BEFORE she said them. Kind of weird. It's just ironic that she "is proud of America" when she apparently only became that way a mere few months ago. Sorry, but no matter WHO has been President of our country - I've always been proud of America. We are still the power center of the world, even though we have things that we need to work on. So "blah, blah, blah. . . " and that's all I have to say about that (in a Forest Gump voice).

I'm hoping that Boots will have some pictures that I can post on here (since, again, my camera wasn't working right) to show you some of the things we saw that YOU won't see in the news. Again, have to say that decorations were cool - Denver really did a great job in showing off our city. Just hope that doesn't equate to more permanent guests - although I can live with the occasional part-time resident. In the meantime, check out http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ to see some different pics, stories and blogs. I'm going to get ready to watch The Daily Show - his first taping was today (wish I could have been there).

No comments: