Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Good and the Sad. . .

I have started the process of home ownership. A week ago, went through the offer/acceptance part of the process. This past Thursday, we did the inspection of the property. With the exception of a few minor things that need to be done, everything looks good. My friend Shannon came with me while Troy (the inspector) worked on his report and we measured everything. She took pictures as well - she wants to help me get this new place of mine into shape, so I'm letting her have at it. I went to Home Depot today to start pricing out the things I will need for the immediate issues, as well as the items I want to do in the future. If I can do most of it myself, I'll be able to accomplish it in less money than I had thought initially. I'm just very blessed that I have so many friends and several have already said they will be there to help out with my first home.

The next step is the mortgage. I have to send the rest of the paperwork in tomorrow so they can get going on that. I don't know when Michael (my Mortgage Broker) will be getting the appraisal done, but I assume it will be soon so they can get the FHA loan going. We have a scheduled close date of 7/15, so hopefully it will all pan out for that day. I plan on closing late in the date, then taking for the remainder of that week off to do the moving, painting, etc. I do have to say that I got a killer deal on this place (for the semi-decent shape it is in, too) and will be setting this up as an investment property to create capital for me in the future.

In the midst of this, the saddest news came upon our country on Friday when Tim Russert passed away. The news really was a blow to people around the country - I was very upset upon hearing the news. In reading some blogs on 9news.com, some people were saying "he was so left," and "why all the attention on him?" Well, first of all - who cares where he leaned? His biggest thing was to educate the public, not tell them which way to vote. I don't care who you are, if you thought his line of questioning tried to guide the public in thinking one way or the other when he spoke with politicians, then YOU WEREN'T PAYING ATTENTION! Mr. Russert went after everyone, Democrat, Republican, Independent, Green Party, etc. He asked the tough but fair questions - holding those people accountable for the things they said they would do and didn't. The US has suffered the greatest loss of a gracious, caring person. Wow - I'm still very upset. I pray for his family and all those that were his friends. Just glad I had my 3 minutes of time with him in April at the Damon Runyon awards ceremony honoring him - wish it could have been a whole lot more. There were so many questions to ask, and I got nothing in due to just being nervous. I was just happy to say "Hi" and "thanks for coming to Denver!"

Well, continue to watch this blog as I work my way through the up and coming issues of "possible" home ownership as well as school - that's a whole other post!!

No comments: