Monday, May 28, 2007

It's almost summertime!

What a great few days. Nice weather, lots going on, can't ask for much better (unless I was near the ocean). No, really - it's a good day when its sunny and warm. Friday night we didn't take much advantage of that, but went to Dewey's to play trivia and eat stuff that isn't good for us. And had a few drinks. Those that know me know that I am not much of a drinker anymore, if at all on most occassions. I was going to "tie one on" Friday, but just couldn't get enough of anything in me to accomplish that goal. Just not into alcohol anymore, but more so, not into the "feeling" after the fact. Hangovers suck!

Friday was a little late, but not too bad. Saturday, I met Boots downtown for our monthly Mani-pedicure and lunch. This has become a fun, relaxing and adventurous routine. Last time, we ate at Roijas on Larimer. It was really good food, a little pricey, but something different. They used fresh baked mediterranean style breads (the olive loaf was great) and fresh everything. We had to eat inside since their patio is so small. This time around, we ate at Del Mar's Crab House where we had salads with fish/seafood. I had the Mediterranean Salad w/Salmon which was AWESOME and Boots had an Asparagus salad w/Scallops. Her's wasn't made with any leafy greens, just asparagus, tomato and scallops. That was a little bit of a let down, but it was still all good - perfect portions so you don't overeat. Their sourdough bread that they served w/the meal was really good as well. Then we went to the Pavillions where they have the annual art show. They always have interesting pieces, but for the most part you need to be very wealthy to afford anything. By then, I was tired and needed to get a quick nap in.

Tish Marti (Martin) and I went to the Cinderella City Drive-in to see "Pirates 3." We went early to ensure a good spot (which we did well) and then I borrowed Karen's portable DVD player to watch the last 1/2 of "Pirates 2," so it was like going from one movie to the other. We brought cheese, crackers, fruit, and chocolate to eat - just because we could! I found this Horseradish/white cheddar cheese at this little small gourmet grocer in Writer's Square that was just to die for. Bought some herbed Brie later as well. I'm so into the more gourmet cheeses anymore.

Anyway, the movie will have to be seen a couple more times to catch everything again. There is so much going on in it, and it has a wicked, kind of sad, twist at the end that definitely keeps it open for another installment. It's not as good as the 1st movie (nothing ever is), but still a good story for the franchise.

Sunday I went to a BBQ at Susan and Don Shield's house in Ft Collins. However, before that I went to Loveland to stop by the cemetary to plant some flowers on my brother Jason and Dad's graves. There was a very large, unruly rosebush next to Jason's grave for the longest time, but someone (probably the cemetary) got so tired of having to trim it down every year that it was removed - can't tell it was ever there. I don't know who did it, but thanks! Now there is a small, perennial flower bush of some sort and I planted some petunias and geraniums, dad's favorite flowers that he would plant every year. They are easy to take care of and bloom very nicely. I said a prayer and was on my way. I was strangely emotional just driving into and through Loveland. I really miss it there, as well as my friends that live there. I don't see them nearly enough - with gas so expensive nowadays, I just don't get up that way as often as I should.

At the Shield's house, I ended up being one of the first ones there (thought I'd be much later, but since I didn't have to deal with the rose bush down south, I got there a lot earlier). I was later joined by Kirsten, Andy and the kids Rathmann; Tish Marti; Steph and Gary Riedel and Shannon Brynner. It was so good to see Steph and Shannon, a couple others that I miss seeing. Their upbeat personalities and laughing is so infectious - I just love being around them! I'll take whatever dose of them that I can. Anyway, it was a fun time and I ended up not leaving until 7:30pm that night. We were just B'S-ing. It's always a good time to spend yard time w/the Shield's, they are such good people.

So, today has been pretty much a "do nothing" day. Went to the grocery store early this morning, then came home, watered the flowers, swept out the garage and cleaned out my Exploder (term of endearment, really) and have been watching a "CSI" marathon. I never watch the show while it's on Primtime (until just recently), but always watch the reruns. What a facinating show. Now my day ends easily and relaxed before the rigors of going back to work tomorrow. It was an interesting day this past Friday, so more on that later.

No comments: