Sunday, February 10, 2008

Lessons to Learn

What we would like to be in life isn't always going to be. As we get older, we find that things take a little longer to happen - weightloss, accumulation of wealth (unless you are REALLY lucky), work, etc. I have been laid off of work 3 times within a 10 year period - the first 2 times, I found work immediately. After the 3rd time, it took me almost 2 years to find another permanent job. In that 2 year time, I worked temp jobs, contract jobs, whatever it took to make some money. At times, I became pretty bummed out, sometimes slightly depressed - but I always knew things would work out for the better. Although I don't always like this saying it is true - when one door closes another one opens. It might take awhile to find that new door, but it does happen. Just stay as positive as you can and keep looking because, by george, opportunity isn't going to come and tap you on the shoulder unless you give it the chance to do so!

At work, we've been trying to get our new SA hired. I worked hard to get this person we were going to bring on - working as a temp to help me out and more importantly, our customers. Then I found Friday that after going through all of the processes for the final chapters to get her on full-time, she can't work for us because of something in her background check. I'm so bummed out I can't believe it. I've also come to be a little mad as well. Knowing that she was going to go through this background check, why in the world did she not mention something to my boss? Armed with a little bit of information in the beginning, he could have warded off questions and still gotten her hired - but guess she didn't think that whatever it was would come back to haunt her. Now we are back to square one, scrambling to find out how we are going to make this work. DAMN IT!

Yesterday, I went to this cheerleading event called "JamFest" to show support for my ex-roommates daughter, Alexa. She is on a squad for special needs kids - boy, did that group of girls have a HUGE cheering section! There were 2 teams of this type at the session I was at - the girls did well, and the kids that help them are just awesome. It takes a lot of patience to work with down syndrome kids, as well as any other type of physical/mental disability - I really applaud these teens for being so giving of themselves and their time to make those girls feel like being a part of such an activity.

School is going well so far - I'm getting a straight-up perfect score on all of my assignments. My weightlifting class is going well, too - hoping to start really seeing some results happen within the next couple of weeks (at least before I go to Las Vegas). If I can get A's in those classes, I'll be doing pretty well. Took on a 4 week accelerated class as well, that month should be pretty uneventful so I can concentrate on that classwork. After school is out (around May 5th), think that will be when I take my trip to Washington DC. Reminder to self: contact my cousin Kevin to start those plans. . .

No comments: