Sunday, June 17, 2007

Mid June

Another week with not much to tell. I didn't do much with the new diet system yet. I decided to ease myself into it, since I have to learn how to drink 100 oz of water a day (I can drink iced tea, as well, but should be mostly water). I did start out trying to eat different, leaving out all dairy. That's been pretty difficult, since I am a milk lover - gotta have at least one big glass a day. Another thing to ease into. Over the past year, I've weaned myself off of soda (I have one maybe once a week now), eased off of the cheese, and quit eating fried foods (although I indulge myself in the latter once in a great while, asking myself afterwards "why did I do that" cuz I start feeling yucky). Can't call what I do diets, now, as they are more of changing a way of life. Eating differently, exercising differently. It will all become habit as I keep going.

I went to an event at the Pepsi Center this past Wednesday night, which, as I easily figured out, was a ploy to try and get me to buy season tickets or even a 14 game package for our hockey team, the Colorado Avalanche (since I'm a season ticket holder for a different sport within the Kroenke regime, guess they're trying to get me to go for more). I took my friend Karin, who is a pretty big fan of hockey - even though she likes the Redwings (boo-hiss). I get to do some really cool things every once in a while, so try to diversify who I take so my friends get a chance to do them with me :) We arrived early, the first few through the door.

There was a lot of REALLY good food there, but the best part was that Coach Quenville and Milan Hejduk were there. When we walked in, Coach actually stepped up to Karin and I and introduced himself. I thought that was very nice and personable. Alan Roach, the Avalanche announcer (who is our local sports radio guy, as well as a former announcer for the Rockies, having also done the english announcing for Olympic hockey this last go around, as well as the Superbowl) was the MC for this event. Before and afterwards, both coach and Hejduk signed autographs. So, since Karin and I weren't in a hurry, we waited to be the last. Gave us a few more seconds to BS with the guys once everyone was done, so we didn't feel like we had to hurry. Hejduk was a VERY nice guy - so me, being the person that believes no matter how famous you are, if you are nice (or part of a pro sports organization that is well liked by the public), you should know. Even the celebrities need to know what the publics perception of them is, particularly when there is something nice to say. So I did. Milan Hejduk is a very well liked person in our community, and apparently loves it here. Said he'd like to retire from hockey in Colorado. I hope he gets his wish. Then we sat with coach for a few minutes as well. We were out of there around 8pm, so wasn't too late a night. It was fun, and I was glad that Karin could go with me.

Friday night, went to see the Rockies vs Tampa Bay game with Kirsten, Andy and the boys and my roomie Karen. Kirsten and I are trying to go to as many of the free shirt nights as we can. They gave away a Brad Hawpe shirt, #11 (I did the first shirt night a few weeks ago, got Matt Holliday that time). The Rocks came out strong in the first inning, with back to back home runs from Atkins and Hawpe and 4 runs in. Then they didn't do anything again until the 6th inning, but kicked it in again and just wailed on on the Devil Rays through the 8th. Rocks won that night 12-2. It was a fun game and we had a good time! They did end up winning the series, tieing a club record for 5 series won in a row.

This weekend was pretty uneventful. Ran some errands and been cleaning house (means I'm not done yet, got a few more things to do). Fixing a Roast for dinner. I woke this morning to watch the last 15 minutes of Joel Osteen's sermon. For some strange reason, I like listening to him. His message today was about making every day a masterpiece. I got in on it right as he was talking about being the bigger person and talking to and forgiving those that you feel have done you wrong (that's something really hard for me to do). He ended with "make sure to tell everyone in your life that you love and care about them." I try to do the latter now. When my brother died, the last thing I said to him 3 hours before the visit from the coroner's office was that he was an idiot. He was doing drugs and drinking for a couple of years, and at that time had just turned 18 a few weeks before. Jason was mowing the lawn, something he really didn't like doing, but it was his chore at home. He was being a teenager and made me mad about something and "your an idiot" is the last thing I said. I'll regret that until the day I die. It took a couple of years after that, but started ending all conversations with my dad, mom and grandparents (and nearly all family members I talk to) with "I love you." My dad took a couple of years after that to say it back to me, just wasn't his style. But I broke him down. So, I have no regrets with my dad. Nor my grandmother or grandfather on my dad's side. I try to talk to my grandmother at least every 2 weeks, but lately it's been about once a month. I need to get much better about calling her once a week. I end all of our conversations the same way as well, so I know I'll have no regrets there, either.

Being Father's Day, it makes me miss my dad. Although we weren't the closest in the end, I still miss him calling me at 6am on my birthday to wish me Happy Birthday. Same with my grandparents. I was going to call my uncles on my mom's side and wish them Happy Father's Day today, but didn't get it done. I'll call them all here soon, though. It's important to keep your family in your thoughts and talk to them as much as you can. Since I don't talk to anyone on my Dad's side anymore due to family issues, I keep much closer contact with everyone on my mom's side. Since they all live in one place (except for mom who is in Dallas), I try to get out there to visit at least once a year. Important, now that we've started losing members of that immediately family (i.e. my aunt Margaret in 2005, aunt Estelle a scant few years before that). I'd visit twice a year, if I could afford to.

Enough ranting, I'll write more later!

No comments: