Thursday, September 6, 2007

Well, it finally happened. . .

I had a complete meltdown at work today. I've been working with our Salt Lake District to put together this Parts & Supplies postcard to send out to our customers, and we had a couple of glitches with it, along with my trying to accurately change the price via the inhouse system. We saved it from being mailed, but it will cost us a little something to reprint it with the correct message. My contact there told me not to feel too bad, one of the California Districts did one that got mailed out and had blatantly bad info on it (10K copies). For ours, we could have worked through the error with little difficulty, but there are those that know what the difference is, so we are changing it.

Anyway, I had a bunch of things happening early this morning (as well as this week), and along with covering 3 jobs and the workload that doesn't seem to see the light of day, it was the final straw. Luckily no one was there when I lost it, it was pretty early this morning (around 7:30am). My counterpart Sue in the Salt Lake office just happened to call me as I was calming myself down from a river of tears. She verbally walked me out of the moment, and helped me start to ground myself again. My boss walked in after that, around 8:15am, but I didn't let him know what was going on until about 10:30. By then, he had a pretty good inkling that I was having a hard time, so we hashed it out and I get a temp!! But not just any temp, the girl we've wanted to hire for our SA position. Karin is going into this knowing that she can't hold any expectations, and there is no guarantee that the job is hers. Since Corp is still sitting on their butts about this and I'm just overly and publicly buried, Skip somehow got us the permission (not only is our company on a hiring freeze - in the field only, of course, but nearly every district had to let their temporary workers go). However, she can start learning the ropes, it'll give Skip a chance to see how well she fits in, too. I think it will work out really well - but I'm just happy that I have someone to help, now, and exactly the person I wanted there!! Yiippppeee!!!! Now I can start getting caught up on stuff.

When I left work, my boss told me not to be so hard on myself, we'll get this all worked out - we've survived huge challenges, this one will work itself out as well. I work really hard to do things right, but lately that has been really difficult to do. I'm just sorry it took a major meltdown to occur to make things happen. I should have done this much sooner!

I went to the college to get my one book and a testing page for my class that starts on Sept 26th. Both of those items together cost 2/3rd's as much as my class did - YIKES!!!! This school thing is MUCH more expensive than it used to be. College textbooks cost so much cuz "THEY CAN." That's crap, but guess that's the US for you. Yes, you can make money and over charge huge amounts and THEN live the American dream. Kiss my butt you greedy bastards :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's sad that it takes a melt-down to get the help we need. I've been there many times. I hope things improve for you soon.

Take care,
Kim