Saturday, July 7, 2012

Little More Than a Year Later!

Been WAY too long since I've written anything!  Most know what's been going on, but let's do a recap here.

Mom was brought back to Colorado at the end of March 2012 by her 3 brothers, my uncles Stuart, Steve and Jim.  It was very heartwarming to have them work together to bring mom to her final home.  We moved her into an independent living facility in north Denver where she has settled in pretty well.  She complains about the food and service in the dining room (which from what I understand from others has declined in recent months), but otherwise seems to like it fine.  I wanted her here so myself and my brother could spend more time with her; however, I seem to be doing most of that which is OK.  We go out for breakfast at least one morning on the weekends, shop for food or other things that she wants and just hang out together.  She gets tired easily, so it lasts about half a day (if I have time, I take a nap after we are done as well).  I try to get mom to take little trips into the mountains or other places, but she is reluctant to do so - she had a somewhat difficult time re-adjusting to the altitude; heck, it's been 25 years since she lived here last.  We are traveling to Eaton next weekend to hook her up with an old family friend, Jan Holmes.  Her husband Roger recently died in a fight with a tractor; the tractor won.  I went to school with their daughters, Kim and Yvonne whom I haven't seen in years; I look forward to re-connecting with them myself.

As for me, I left Lennox the beginning of March, just shy of 8 years.  I had fun there, but wanted more and wasn't going to get that with the current management.  No doubt, I would've kicked butt had the opportunity been present, but I am a BIG believer that things happen for a reason - I just wasn't meant to stay there.  Now, I work at the Denver Business Journal, fulfilling one part of my dream to work in downtown Denver - I absolutely love it!  Being just a block off of the 16th street mall, spring, summer and fall offer so much to do, even during the work week.  Summer time is the best, with weekly concerts, food truck rodeos (we're not talking the old catering trucks of yesteryear - this is the cool, good food!) and mall entertainment. 

Aside from just working downtown with the new job, I have met some of the most fascinating people - even a couple of local celebrities with whom I have become friends.  Every one of them just wants to be successful and enjoy what they do.  My job allows me to travel across the city, attending events, workshops and seminars where I talk to people and teach them how to look at the DBJ as not just a news source, but a business lead resource.  My friends know how much I like to meet new folks, but now I get paid to do it and get to keep them when I leave :)

Those are the two major things in life that have changed. Right now, I'm contemplating a new side venture that will hopefully take full shape by summer's end.  I'll divulge more about that as time passes.  No matter what, I promise to write a little more so that y'all know what's going on in Colorado!

No comments: