Monday, April 14, 2008

Meeting the Famous

Last night, I volunteered for the Denver Press Club once again - this time at their annual Runyon Award dinner. Boots and I helped with some set up then worked the registration tables. Boots has once again remembered why she doesn't like working the table - she can't hear well out of one ear and apparently it was really driving her nuts last night! But, we got through that within an hour and then sat at probably one of the best tables of the night.

The honoree this year was Tim Russert, host of "Meet the Press." Wow, what an impressive individual. Unlike most journalists, he really enjoys educating the public, helping them make their own political decisions instead of telling them how they should think or vote. If a politician puts forth a discrepancy in a statement that goes the opposite of something they said earlier, he will "catch" them in their own words. He told a couple of really good stories about those instances. What most impressed me is what a genuine person he is. I had the opportunity to chat with him for about a minute going up the escalator. In between my babbling, he mentioned what a great race we have coming up with bringing in a new US Senator. I told him that I really like Bob Schaffer, as he is a very honest (although sometimes TOO honest) guy that sticks to his morals. I'm sure he will take that with him to the table sometime soon. We are really the state to watch this year, especially with the DNC here in August. Boots wished he would have told more stories. . . she really likes hearing about how certain people are to work with.

Anyway, it was a great event and I'm very honored that I had the opporunity to help out. Now, I once again look forward to the Gridiron this fall - it'll be VERY fun due to the Presidential election year we are in.

Lots happening, yet nothing really has happened. I took the day off and went to the Rockies Home Opener game with Kirsten and the fam - and they lost - to Arizona - all 3 games. Then we had our first "Ladies Night" game last Wednesday. I took Karen with me for this first one. The Rockies won that one 13-7 so woohoo - 4 tacos for $1 at Taco Hell!! The Rockies have already played 6 games against Arizona and only won one of them. We figure it's payback for 1) beating them 3 out of 5 games during Training Camp and 2) for beating them for the NL Championship. Oh well, we'll see them a WHOLE LOT more this season!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stopping in to say hi! It sounds like you have been keeping busy and having fun! Miss You!